bridge

Five Reasons for us to be proud of Strathisla Distillery (Part 2)

Strathisla Distillery is one of those beautiful, iconic buildings in Moray that most of us have never been into. On a quick drive past, you’ll notice the beauty of its twin pagodas and well-kept grounds but with current ownership under Chivas Brothers (Pernod Ricard) and over 14,000 international visitors every year, what connection does this distillery now have with someone from the area?

Wonder no more; here is the second of five reasons for us to be proud of the heritage and the present existence of the wonderful Strathisla Distillery.

Olympic Swimming Pools

Strathisla is not “just” a historically beautiful building; it is first and foremost a fully operating, profitable distillery. After an additional pair of stills were installed in 1965, Strathisla has worked at full capacity, producing up to 2.4 million litres of alcohol per year (that’s enough to fill an Olympic swimming pool, by the way). Since Strathisla Single Malt is the central malt in Chivas Regal blended whiskies, its high demand means that 90% of Strathisla goes into Chivas Regal blends, leaving 10% to be bottled and sold as a single malt.
As a profitable working distillery, Strathisla has long been supportive and encouraging of local events and interest groups, dating as far back as the 1830s – Longmore was famed for his generosity in the local community. This characteristic has not changed and in 2015 alone Strathisla supported Keith Cancer Link, Keith Community Radio, Keith Royal British Legion, MS Group Friends of Keith, the Keith Pensioners Christmas Raffle and Burns‘ Supper, Keith Walking Club, Keith Country Show and the Keith Rotary.